Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Happiness is ... apparently up for debate.

Little known fact about me: I used to be a comics editor.

It's true. For about six months give or take I was the comics editor at the Merced Sun-Star, where I had my first newspaper job.

Let me tell you, I really ruffled some comic readers' feathers during the time. I wrote a column suggesting we yank all these timeless comics (For Better or For Worse, Blondie, the Family Circus) to make room for some of the newer ones on the scene (Rose is Rose, Get Fuzzy, Non Sequitur). I also suggested Dilbert. People were not happy with me.

I didn't say I was going to actually do it, I was just making a suggestion. The purpose of the column was to introduce an election for the most popular comics. We threw some of my new favorites in the mix as well.

The three with the most votes? For Better or For Worse, Blondie, the Family Circus.

C'est la vie.


I do not know my comics as well as I used to. But I still love them, especially Peanuts.

I will leave you with these from "Happiness is a Warm Puppy," which I picked up on a recent trip to the museum in Santa Rosa. (I. Love. This. Book.)

"Happiness is a bread and butter sandwich folded over."

"Happiness is three friends in a sandbox...with no fighting."

"Happiness is walking in the grass in your bare feet."


"Happiness is one thing to one person and another thing to another person."

Now that is something we can all live by right now.




By the way, did you hear Archie is going to marry Veronica? I couldn't believe it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment