Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Two pieces of ice? Anyone?



I'm starting this blog now because, well, I need a job. No, I want a job. I could try to live it up for a while on funemployment, but who am I kidding? I come from a blue collar family and have had a job since I was 13. It has really been such a natural progression since then, from filing X-rays in tiny envelopes for the dentist my mother worked for in 1990 to working as a freelance copywriter at Bare Escentuals Beauty in 2009. It all made sense. The next step was always so obvious.

I mean really, I have worked at:
  • A movie theater serving popcorn with butter flavoring (not butter) and sweeping up candy wrappers.
  • A retirement home serving veggies and other very specific orders (like a glass of water with 2 pieces of ice).
  • A department store selling Levi's to teenagers with their moms' credit cards.
  • A university's student business office, where I think I did something along the lines of accounts payable but I might have just been filling out forms with multiple carbon copies.
Sigh.

It was all such a natural evolution.

It's too bad where I'm going after Friday, July 31 is a mystery.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alex,
    Nice blog....don't forget to file for unemployment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh don't you worry! I have filed, and now they're confused by a short stint I had contracting. I love how they just hang up on you at the end of the automated message. It is scary times for sure.

    ReplyDelete